Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Newest Favorite Team to Crew

Well, AZ 3-Day has come and gone. All the hype leading up to event was all it was cracked up to be and more. If there is one thing I need, it's challenge. No crew team has ever come close to Camp Logistics, until maybe now. Yes, I am talking about the Youth Corps team. Led by one leader for every 5 young adults, this job works you physically and mentally. The first sign that it's a challenge should be when you realize there is a background check. "Passed".

For those of you who don't know, the Youth Corps has been a concept at the Boston 3-Day for some years. It is a program that gives young adults a chance to be on event, work as crew works, and experience a sense of community for a common cause, the end of breast cancer. Young adults anywhere from 11 to 16 can sign up, but they must write an essay and more importantly, they have to raise at least $500 to be on the team. I was pretty excited to learn that our team of 9 raised $6,000 for the AZ event.

One of the things I find so awesome about this team is that it gives young people a chance to experience community, leadership, and a sense of giving back. Often, there is a personal connection to breast cancer. It's hard nowadays to find someone who hasn't been touched by this disease. However, we all work for a world where someday, we can reach a point where we can talk about breast cancer as part of our past...the way a kid today might question when someone talks about rotary telephones.

I think what's exciting about the team is the innocence brought to bear on an event that is centered around something so horrible. It gives me a sense of hope that future generations care as much about eradicating breast cancer. I find it refreshing to see an energy that has been lost in others, an energy I almost lost.

So you might ask, "Was it the Youth Corps that gave you a different perspective or merely a change in jobs?" And I would respond, "Both." I've been looking for something different for some time now. However, I knew it was going to have to be something more rewarding than what is currently offered. Fortunately for me, it was made possible and it turned out to be the right combination.

Will I give up Camp Logistics? Highly unlikely. I love that job way too much, but I certainly have a new team that I can see myself putting a lot of energy into!

No comments: