Sunday, December 23, 2007

Reflections of the year

I often view the holiday season as a time for reflection. While reflection should occur frequently, Christmas is a time where I get to slow down a bit and look back on events that transpired throughout the year.

This year I am reflecting on my first 2-event year and how wonderful it was to go coast-to-coast as well as be the first and last events for the Breast Cancer 3-Day. I met lots of new folks who had a ton of energy as well as return to embrace friends from previous years. Both events went very well. This is a time in the year where people step outside their daily grind to really give of themselves. It is a chance to see people at their best.

But alas, I also reflect on the fact that I went to 2 more Breast Cancer 3-Days this year. Do I grow weary of attending? NO. However, what I yearn for is the day I can go to a Breast Cancer 3-Day that is not about raising money awareness, but a PHAT party to celebrate the fact we have accomplished our goal of finding ways to give people a lifetime.

My best friend visited last night. She is finishing her PHd in genetic statistics. What was revealing to me yesterday was that cancer will never go away. It is not something we can immunize against. Current research is at the point of trying to figure out the causes and how to stop cells from dividing, which if I understand correctly, is the problem when you have cancer. Everything can cause cancer, so science is working on figuring out how to correct the body once cancer has been found.

The epiphany to me was that I will probably be volunteering for a long time until the solution is developed. If for no other reason then to raise awareness to get checked early, then my battle will have been worth the cost. The promising news is that my best friend's advisor, a well respected geneticist in the industry truly believes the solution will be found in her lifetime...that means theirs hope for me to see this through.

~Andrew

No comments: