Tuesday, April 13, 2010

This is why we fight!

I learned today that a good friend's grandmother, a 3 year breast cancer survivor, has found out that her cancer has returned. While she has been under monitoring the last 3 years, the cancer has now spread to the spine and hip. Prognosis is not yet determined and there are hopeful signs given that it is localized, but it is never good news to hear that cancer has returned.

This is why it is so important that we as a society take a stand in the fight against breast cancer. It is a common enemy that has the power to unite people of all different backgrounds. You can blame the environment, lifestyles, and even heredity, but that's no reason that people should have to live with or die by such a horrible disease.

If anything about this post has touched you, please offer a prayer to my friend's grandmother. And as you think about your life, people you love, think about taking action. Donate, give your time, DO SOMETHING!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts. The Grandmother you write about is my Mother and my Hero. I am so proud of my daughters and their annual participation in the 3-day. Thanks to all who crew, walk and/or donate to this worthy cause.

Kristen Sager Cincotta said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's grandmother. My mom is going through the same thing. Her breast cancer was in remission for a year and a half before coming back in her liver this past January. Definitely a scary time.

And you're right - this is why we fight!