Wednesday, April 29, 2009

$500 fundraising goal reached in 2 days!

So I set out to see if I could raise $500 in a day via social media, primarily FaceBook. After one day, I was 60% there. I posted about 3 times during the day to keep the posts fresh so people could see it. Today, I decided that I would try to get the remaining $200. My ask each day was for 50 people to step up and contribute $10 each. Yesterday started out promising with the first two people going above $10, with a $25 contribution each. This was then followed by a $250 contribution which got me to $300. Today, also started with someone going above the $10 mark with $25. After a $10 contribution from another friend, I up'd the ante by declaring a $10 match for the next 18 people who would contribute $10. I then got a contribution for $180 followed by another contribution of $60 and another for $20.

Here is the lesson I learned. Not everyone is going to donate, maybe it is not the right time or the right cause for them. However, the power of giving is huge even in these economic times. I made $590 in less than 2 days and if I throw in my $30 in matches, that is $620.

Don't underestimate the willingness of people to support a great cause!

No comments: